lunes, 15 de noviembre de 2010

Last but not least

I'm leaving my current $work, and changing to another one. Being the first one I'm starting not as an university student but a 'professional' one feels strange, and I'm somewhat thrilled. Will I be good enough for the job? I hope so :)

These last days I'm reviewing some of my old code with the guy who will inherit my codes. A cool programmer, with lots of knowledge I wouldn't expect from an average young programmer (it's actually a bit older than me but, you know... not everyone reads 'refactoring', code complete, and GoF just for fun :) ). We've had good times. Transfering info would be quite more difficult without such a good learner. In little less than a week, he also explained me some ins and outs about some agile methodologies, or good programming practices (some cool refactorings, Log4X modules, etc...). We both learned quite a lot from each other.

Some of the neat advices that I liked.

- use Logging modules. They pay off. And they are quite easy to set up (opposed to what I thought)
- refactor any piece of code that is repeated more than 1 time (if it's easy to do). calling a simple join(',' , @array) three times in the same function can be refactored into a meaningful name sub. You get the name explaining what your code does, and if you want to change ',' to ':', only one change does it.
- Codes that you write separated by 2 newlines, like paragraphs, and start with a comment that explains what that snippet does, are screaming for a new function. You can use the first words of the comment as a hint for the function name.
- Take a look at AOP, it's cool. a really cool thing.

1 comentario:

Rodrigo Bistolfi dijo...

Good luck at your new job!
Funny, I have been reading about AOP the past two days. A lot of meta-programming and other cool stuff are involved.
BTW, I write a lot of code separated by paragraphs and starting with a comment, I will take the advices for myself. Something I always loved about Smalltalk is that you rarely face more than ten lines of code at once. This advices seems good for getting that into any programming language.